5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Akagera Wildlife Safari
5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Akagera Wildlife Safari: Visit the 2 major national parks of Rwanda the home of a thousand hills in a period of 7 days. This safari takes you to visit the Nyungwe national park for the chimpanzee trek and canopy walk and get to visit the wildlife of Rwanda in Akagera national park and also get to see a number of the 500 plus birdlife of the Akagera.
This package is available for booking on a daily basis.
Trip highlights of the 5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Akagera Wildlife Safari
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Canopy walk
- Game drive
- Boat cruise
- City tour
Day 1: Leave Kigali for Nyungwe forest national park
- 5 to 6-hour road transfer:our driver guide will be waiting to welcome you and pick you up from the Kigali international airport or your preferred location in Kigali and transfer you to Nyungwe forest. This is a 5 to 6-hour road transfer with enroute visits to the Butare Museum and the Kings’ palace. You will have lunch in Butare and connect further southwards of Rwanda to Nyungwe forest national park. You will get to your hotel in the evening hours or check-in and refresh as you wait for dinner to be served and spend the first night in Nyungwe.
Accommodation options in Nyungwe forest national park
- Gisakura visitor centre for budget
- Nyungwe top hill view for midrange
- One and Only Nyungwe house for luxury
Day 2: Chimpanzee trekking and canopy walk
- Chimpanzee trekking: Drive out to the starting point of the chimpanzee trekking at the park as early as 6 am. You will start the day with a brief before you enter the forest searching for chimpanzees. Chimpanzees are early risers so you would follow the rangers into the forest. Catch the chimpanzees swinging from tree branch to tree branch and exit the park for a late breakfast.
- Canopy walk: Spend the midmorning enjoying the lodge until lunch is ready to be served. At 2pm you will be expected to drive to park for your canopy walk experience. Enjoy the 2 meter long canopy bridge hung up 9 meters giving you an aerial view of the forest. There are many other primates of the park you may be able to view on this walk. Drive back to your hotel in time for dinner and night stay in Nyungwe as the night before.
Day 3: Drive to Akagera national park
- 7 to 8 hour road transfer: Wake up to an early breakfast shortly before you exit the park driving towards Kigali. You will pass by the Butare museum and the Kings’ Palace if time allows and have an enroute lunch in Butare or Kigali as you will advise. Drive further to Akagera national park arriving in the evening before the park gates close. Connect to your accommodation to refresh and settle in as you await dinner to be served.
Accommodation in Akagera national park
- Akagera game lodge for budget
- Karenge bush camp for midrange
- Rusizi tented camp for luxury
Day 4: Day game drive and Lake Ihema boat trip
- Day Game drive in Akagera national park: Breakfast will be served in the dining and after having your cup of coffee with some snacks, you will meet your driver guide who will be waiting to take you to the starting point by 9 am where you will link up with the Akagera guide of the day. Drive around the vast savannah park viewing the game like the rhinos, lions, elephants, leopards, giraffes along with the smaller game like the antelopes, warthogs, etc. You may have a bush lunch or return to your hotel for lunch.
- Lake Ihema boat trip: Later in the evening when the sun is not as hot, you will drive to catch the scheduled Lake Ihema boat trip to see the aquatic life of Akagera along with a few of the 500 plus bird species in the Akagera national park. Drive back to your hotel in time for dinner and an overnight stay as the previous night.
Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
- 2 hour road transfer: Wake up to a sumptuous breakfast at the hotel shortly before you exit the park. Pack your bags and check out of your hotel and meet your driver-guide who will be waiting to transfer you back to Kigali. You will arrive in time for lunch and if you were not able to do the city tour on the first day, you may take it on now before you are dropped off at your agreed drop off location.
End of the 5 Days Nyungwe Forest & Akagera Wildlife Safari
Safari quote includes
- 4×4 WD safari vehicle
- Activity fees
- Hotel fees
- Meals on the trip
- Full time English/ French speaking safari guide
- Bottled water on the trip
Safari quote excludes
- International air fees
- Optional/additional activities
- Visa fees
- Personal needs like tips, airtime, laundry etc.