3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking
3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking is a Congo safari that has tourists visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Virunga National Park. Virunga National Park is one of the very few parks from where one can see the endangered mountain gorillas that are in two other countries of Uganda and Rwanda. This 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking safari has travelers doing gorilla trekking, and the safari starts and ends in Kigali Rwanda.
Tour Highlights of the 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking Safari include Kigali city tour, Gorilla trekking, and Community walk/Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center visit.
Summary of the 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking Safari
- Day 1: Arrival/Kigali city tour and Transfer to Bukima sector of Virunga National Park
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Virunga
- Day 3: Transfer back to Kigali and Departure
Day 1: Arrival/Kigali city tour and Transfer to Bukima sector of Virunga National Park
- Arrival/Kigali city tour: On this day 1 of your 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking safari, you will arrive at Kigali International Airport in Rwanda and be met with our company driver-guide who will brief you about your safari. Depending on the time of your flight arrival, you will have a Kigali city tour which is considered as Africa’s cleanest city visiting important historical sites of the country, for example, the 1994 Genocide memorial sites, museums, and also get to see and interact with the locals as they go about their daily work in the city.
- Transfer to the Bukima sector: You will then embark on a transfer to the Bukima sector of Virunga National Park by road. You will drive through the Rwanda-Congo border to Goma- make sure you have all the required paperwork including visas for both countries and a yellow fever vaccination card. You will proceed to the park and check-in to your lodge, relax as you wait for dinner. Dinner and overnight stay at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Virunga
- Gorilla Trekking in Virunga: Today, you will get to experience gorilla trekking in Virunga. The day will start with you rising very early in the morning, have breakfast at the lodge and then head to Bukima ranger post, which is the starting point for gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park. You will be briefed by the park rangers on what lies ahead of the trek, and rules and regulations will be shared. Travelers will then be placed in groups of 8 and allocated gorilla families to track. gorilla family allocation is based on the physical fitness of the traveler and also his preference is considered. During group allocation, you may be entertained with local dances and songs from the locals. After the briefing and gorilla group allocation, you will embark on the search of the mountain gorillas in their natural habitat. During the trek, rangers and guides will share their knowledge of the park and point out important features. Be on the lookout for other wildlife in the park like forest elephants, bushpigs and primates and various birds. Once you encounter the mountain gorillas as they go about their daily routine of feeding, grooming and the like, spend the time allocated taking pictures and capturing videos but also take time to simply live in the moment with the gorillas. Some playful and curious juveniles may come up-close, but remember you will be watched by a protect silverback. After spending the time allocated, trek back. The entire activity can take about 5 hours or more depending on the location of the gorillas.
- Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage Experience: After your lunch, you can spend the afternoon resting or opt to visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center or have a community visit. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge as above.
Day 3: Transfer back to Kigali and Departure
- Transfer back to Kigali: On this last day of your 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking safari, you will have a sumptuous breakfast at the lodge and then check out for a transfer back to Kigali. The drive is scenic and you will surely enjoy it as you will make stops to interact with the locals along the way. You will be dropped off at the airport for your outbound flight.
End of the 3 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking Safari
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tip