The Virunga Classic Package
The Virunga Classic Package has travelers going on a 6 day Congo safari with double gorilla trekking. This Virunga Classic Package is for travelers who would like to explore the Virunga National Park of the Congo, an untampered with true African wild gem. This Virunga Classic Package departs Goma every Monday and Wednesday at 11 am.
Tour Highlights of the Virunga Classic Package
- Day 1: Arrival and Nature trails
- Day 2: Gorilla trekking and Bukima exploration
- Day 3: Second gorilla trekking
- Day 4: Relax and explore your surroundings
- Day 5: Nyiragongo volcano hike
- Day 6: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and Nature Trails
- Arrival and Nature Trails: Travelers arrive at the Grande Barriere border crossing by 10:30 am and ensure to be checked-in with the Virunga tourism by 11:15 am which is just in the Grande Barriere border post building opposite the passport control. Travelers will be provided with their gorilla and volcano trek permits which are presented before each of the respective activities. After check-in, travelers will head to Mikeno Lodge at the park headquarters in Rumangabo. Upon arrival at the lodge, enjoy a late lunch and thereafter leisurely explore several nature trails of Rumangabo and bird watching. Travelers can also visit Virunga’s Congo hounds. Dinner and overnight at the lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Bukima Exploration
- Gorilla Trekking: After your breakfast at the lodge, head out to Bukima ranger post the starting point for your first gorilla trekking experience. Upon arrival at the Bukima, travelers will meet the ranger guides and local pisteurs for a briefing before starting the gorilla trek. The trek usually takes 1-2.5 hours of hiking each way and this depends on the location of the allocated gorilla group and the difficulty of the terrain. After meeting the gorillas for one hour, trekkers return to Bukima camp where a late lunch is served. In the afternoon, travelers can set off to leisurely explore Bukima, bird watch and also visit the park’s bamboo project. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge.
Day 3: Second Gorilla Trekking
- Second Gorilla Trekking: After your breakfast at the lodge, head out for your second gorilla trekking adventure at 8:30 am. After your trek, enjoy a lunch served at Bukima and when all travelers are returned to Bukima, they’ll be transported back to the lodge where they can spend their afternoon at leisure say exploring the park headquarters or maybe just cozy up over a fire reading a book or sipping a drink. Dinner and overnight at the lodge.
Day 4: Relax and explore your surroundings
- Relax and explore your surroundings: Spend the day relaxing, exploring and enjoying the peaceful surroundings of Mikeno Lodge. You are on holiday after all.
Day 5: Nyiragongo Volcano hike
- Nyiragongo Volcano hike: After breakfast at the lodge, travelers are transferred to the Kibati ranger post which is the departure/starting point of the Nyiragongo volcano hike. Upon your arrival at Kibati, you will be briefed of what to expect. It is from this point that you can hire porters who will help you during the hike. The hike up the volcano can take up to 6 hours. Enjoy the views while at the summit, and then spend the night.
Day 6: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
- Nyiragongo Volcano hike: Early in the morning, travelers leave the crater rim and embark on a descent of the Nyiragongo that is averaged at 4 hours only.
- Departure: At the bottom, travelers are transferred back to Goma and then dropped off at the Grande Barriere border for crossing.
End of the Virunga Classic Package
- Gorilla trekking permits
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Air tickets and Visas
- Rental of the Nyiragongo backpack
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tips