The Mikeno Mist Package
The Mikeno mist package is a 4 Days Congo safari that has travelers exploring the Virunga and the Nyiragongo volcano. Travelers will be spending 2 full nights in Kibumba Tented Camp, have a gorilla trekking expedition, climb the Nyiragongo volcano, take part in bird watching, nature walks and a night on the summit of the Nyiragongo. The Mikeno mist package is for those that enjoy exploring the Congo and would love to encounter the mountain gorillas of the wild Virunga National Park.
Tour Highlights of the Mikeno Mist Package
- Day 1: Arrival
- Day 2: Gorilla trekking
- Day 3: Mount Nyiragongo hike
- Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo and departure
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival
- Arrival: You will arrive at the Grande Barriere border crossing at 10:30 am and be checked in with the Virunga tourism office which is in the Grande Barriere border crossing building that is opposite passport control by 11:15 am. You will receive your gorilla permit and the volcano trek permits after checking in, and you must present these permits on each of the activities for you to be allowed to participate. You will then transfer to Kibumba Tented camp from where you will have a late lunch. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking
- Gorilla Trekking: After an early breakfast at the lodge, head to the starting point of your gorilla trek where you will have ranger guides briefing you about the activity and what to expect. You will then embark on a thrilling gorilla trekking adventure where you will sight other animals in the parklike bush pigs, forest elephants, numerous birds, butterflies and also get to learn of the Virunga jungle from the knowledgeable guides and rangers. When you encounter the gorillas, maximize your on hour with them and after it has elapsed, get to trek back to the starting point. You will then transfer back to the lodge from where you will have a late lunch. Spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure or enjoy a nature walk and bird watching experience in the Virunga. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge.
Day 3: Mount Nyiragongo Hike
- Mount Nyiragongo Hike: After your breakfast at Kibumba tented camp, transfer to Kibati ranger post and arrive by 8:15 am and join a briefing by the rangers on the volcano hike ahead. You can hire porters from this point. Embark on the Nyiragongo volcano hike which can take about 6 hours. Gaze at the boiling lava lake to your satisfaction. Spend the night at the summit of the Nyiragongo.
Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo, depart
- Descend the Nyiragongo, depart: Early in the morning, leave the crater rim and start the descent the Nyiragongo back to Kibati in an average of 4 hours. Once at the bottom, be transferred back to Goma and dropped off at the Grande Barriere.
End of the Mikeno Mist Package
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Air tickets and Visas
- Rental of the Nyiragongo backpack
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tip