The Great Ape
The Great Ape is a 5 days Congo safari that offers travelers an opportunity to see two great ape taxa in the celebrated wild Virunga National Park. This Congo safari is for travelers that love the Congo for what is and would enjoy trekking gorillas not just once but two times. The stay is in two really nice lodgings that have superb customer service and are located in scenic areas that travelers would enjoy exploring.
Tour Highlights of the Great Ape Package
- Day 1: Arrival and exploration of Rumangabo
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and explore Bukima
- Day 3: Second gorilla trekking experience and visiting Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage
- Day 4: Chimpanzee Trekking
- Day 5: Departure
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and exploration of Rumangabo
- Arrival: On this first day of your 5 day great ape Congo safari, you will arrive at the Grande Barriere border crossing point by 10:30 am and be checked in with the Virunga tourism office which is in the Grande Barriere border post building that is opposite passport control by 11:15 am. You will receive your permits which you must show at the start of each of the treks. You will then proceed to Mikeno Lodge at the park headquarters in Rumangabo, check-in and then have a late lunch which can be enjoyed leisurely. The afternoon can be used for exploring Rumangabo’s many nature trails, go bird watching or maybe visit Virunga’s Congo hounds. Dinner and overnight at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Explore Bukima
- Gorilla Trekking: After an early breakfast at the lodge, head to Bukima ranger post, the starting point of your first Congo gorilla trekking experience. Upon arrival at Bukima, you will be briefed by the ranger guides and then allocated a gorilla group to trek. You will then embark on the exciting gorilla trekking expedition as you search of the gentle primates in Virunga National Park. After spending the allocated time with the gorillas, you trek back to the starting point. The trek can altogether last 1-2.5 hours depending on the location of the gorillas. The trek back will have you get to Bukima camp from where you will have a late lunch. You have the rest of the afternoon to explore Bukima and take part in bird watching and visiting the Virunga bamboo project. Dinner and overnight at Bukima Tented Camp
Day 3: Second Gorilla trekking experience and visiting Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage
- Second Gorilla trekking experience: After your breakfast at the lodge, enjoy yet another gorilla trekking adventure that sets off at 8:30 am. You will be given a different gorilla family to trek and you will have a different experience altogether. When you return from the second gorilla trek, lunch will be served at Bukima camp. When all trekkers return from the trek, you will transfer back to Mikeno lodge. You can spend the afternoon leisurely by relaxing at the lodge terrace or visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage. Dinner and overnight at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 4: Chimpanzee Trekking
- Chimpanzee Trekking: As early as 6 am, you will head out for a chimpanzee trek which gives you a unique experience for you will be joining the team of chimp experts to study and take part in the habituation exercise of the chimpanzee family in Mahura forest which surrounds Rumangabo. You will return to the lodge and have a late breakfast. You have the rest of the day to yourself, where you can choose to take part in exploring the park headquarters with the park rangers/guides or maybe cozy up and read a book at the terrace of Mikeno Lodge. Lunch, Dinner, and overnight at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 5: Departure
- Departure: On this last day of The Great Ape Congo safari, you will have breakfast at the lodge, and then be transported to Goma and dropped off at the Grand Barriere border post.
End of Safari.
- Gorilla trekking permits
- Chimpanzee tracking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Air tickets and Visas
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tips.