Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
Le Petit Virunga package (Mikeno) is a 4-days Congo safari that has travelers spending 3 nights in Virunga National Park with 2 nights’ full board accommodation at the luxury Mikeno Lodge, one night on the Nyiragongo volcano summit viewing the world’s largest lava lake. Travelers get to take part in mountain gorilla trekking, hike the Nyiragongo, go bird watching, visit the Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage Center and nature walks. This 4-days Le Petit Virunga package (Mikeno) gives travelers a great opportunity to explore the Congo’s Virunga National Park. This package departs Goma every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11:00am.
Tour Summary of the Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
- Day 1: Arrival in Virunga, Bird watching and Nature Trails
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Senkwekwe Orphanage Center visit
- Day 3: Nyiragongo volcano hike
- Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
Day 1: Arrival in Virunga National Park, Bird watching and Nature Trails
- Arrival in Virunga: You will arrive at the Grande Barriere border crossing by 10:30 am and be checked-in with the Virunga tourism office which is in the Grande Barriere border crossing building just opposite the passport control, by 11:15 am. You will receive your gorilla and Nyiragongo hike permit, which you will present at the start of each of the activities. You will be transferred to Mikeno lodge from where you will check-in and then proceed to have a late lunch.
- Leisure activities: Spend the rest of the day at leisure where you can have a bird watching experience and get to enjoy nature trails that are a great opportunity for you to explore Rumangabo. You could also pay a visit to the Congo hounds. Dinner and overnight stay at Mikeno Lodge.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage Center Visit
- Gorilla Trekking: After an early sumptuous breakfast at the lodge, head out to Bukima, the starting point of your gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park experience along with your packed lunch. Join the rest of the travelers for a briefing done by the park officials who will share on what you ought to expect on the trek. Rules and regulations will also be set out for you which you must follow for your own safety and conservation of the mountain gorillas and their natural habitat. You will be placed in groups of 8 and then allocated a gorilla family, which is done basing on the fitness levels of the travelers. During gorilla family allocation, you may be entertained with traditional dances from the locals. You will then embark on the search of the gorillas in the company of armed rangers and guides who will share their knowledge of the park and its inhabitants. When you meet the gorillas, spend the allocated time taking pictures and videos of the gorillas as they go about their daily activities of feeding, playing, grooming each other, making nests, napping and whatever it is they would be doing. Trek back to the starting point and then be transported back to the lodge. Gorilla trekking in Congo can take from 30 minutes to 5 hours or more, depending on the location of the gorillas. Once at the lodge, you can spend the rest of the day relaxing or visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage. Dinner and overnight stay as above.
Day 3: Nyiragongo Volcano Hike
- Nyiragongo Volcano Hike: After enjoying your breakfast at the lodge, check out and be transferred to Kibati ranger post, the starting point of your Nyiragongo hike. Have a briefing on what to expect on the hike, and hire a porter if you think you will need one or more during the hike. The porters will help you carry your luggage and also pull or push you when be during the hike. The hike to the Nyiragongo summit starts at 10 am and can take up to 6 hours. During the hike, look out for wildlife in the vicinity say mammals, primates along with a number of birds. The views during the hike are also wonderful, you will be amazed. Enjoy the breathtaking view of the boiling lava lake that is the largest in the whole world. Spend the night at the summit as you enjoy the lava lake view. Lunch, dinner and overnight stay at the summit.
Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
- Descend the Nyiragongo: Wake up early in the morning, have breakfast as you enjoy your last view of the boiling lava lake and then get to start on your descent of the active volcano at 6:30 am. The average descent time is four hours. Once at the foothills of the Nyiragongo volcano, you will be met by the driver-guide who will transfer you to Goma and then at the Grande Barriere border crossing point.
End of Le Petit Virunga (Mikeno) Safari
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Rental of the Nyiragongo backpack
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tips