Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) Package
Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) package is a 4-days Congo safari designed to give travelers the very best safari experience of the Congo’s Virunga National Park. In the wild jungles of Virunga National Park, tourists will get to encounter the amazing gentle mountain gorillas in their natural habitat. Tourists on this 4-days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) Package will also get to hike the Nyiragongo volcano that hosts the world’s largest lava lake. Tourists on this package will have an opportunity to spend a night in the beautiful Mikeno Lodge, Bukima tented camp and on the summit of the Nyiragongo with beautiful views. This package departs Goma every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11:00 am.
Tour Summary of Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) Package
- Day 1: Transfer to Bukima and spend the day at leisure
- Day 2: Gorilla trekking and visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center
- Day 3: Transfer to Kibati, hike the Nyiragongo Volcano
- Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
Day 1: Transfer to Bukima and spend the day at leisure
- Transfer to Bukima: On this first day of your 4-days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) package, you will arrive at the Grande Barriere border crossing by 10:00 am and make sure to be checked-in with the Virunga tourism office which is in the Grande Barriere border crossing building that is just opposite passport control by 11:00 am. You will receive your gorilla permits and the Nyiragongo hiking permit, which you will present at the start of each of the activities.
- You will then transfer to Bukima, check-in at Bukima Tented Camp and then enjoy a late sumptuous lunch. After your lunch, spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure where you can choose to explore your surroundings or just cuddle up with a nice book in your laps. In the evening, enjoy your dinner at the camp and then spend an overnight stay at Bukima Tented Camp.
Day 2: Gorilla trekking and visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center
- Gorilla trekking Experience: This day 2 of your 4-days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) package will have you rising very early in the morning and enjoy a breakfast at the lodge. You will then head to the starting point from where your gorilla trekking experience will start. Ranger guides will brief you about the gorilla trekking activity ahead of you and rules to be followed will also be stipulated. You will then be placed in groups of 8 and allocated gorilla families to track. gorilla family allocation is done basing on the physical ability of the travelers and also preferences. During gorilla family allocation, you may be entertained with traditional dances and songs by the locals. You will then embark on the wild search of the gorillas in their natural habitat and when you do find them, spend one hour with them while you take pictures and videos of the gorillas going about their normal routine of feeding, grooming, juveniles playing around the silverbacks, nest making or napping by some gorillas. Some very inquisitive gorillas can come and play on you, be mindful though, you will be under a scrutinizing watchful eye of the dominant silverback. After an hour with the gorillas, trek back to the starting point. The trek can take about 2 hours each way, depending on the location of the gorillas. You will then transfer to Mikeno lodge.
- Senkwekwe Gorilla Orphanage Experience: Once at the lodge, relax and opt to visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage center for a chance to meet these once-in-danger creatures who are cared for and rehabilitated from here. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge.
Day 3: Transfer to Kibati, hike the Nyiragongo volcano
- Transfer to Kibati: After early morning breakfast at the lodge, transfer to Kibati, the starting point of the Nyiragongo hike. While at Kibati ranger post, you will be oriented on the volcano hike ahead, and it is from here that you may hire a porter if you think you will need them. These porters help you during the hike with a pull or push when it gets tuff for you, and also carry your luggage such that you are less burdened.
- Nyiragongo Hike: You will then start to hike the Nyiragongo volcano, enjoying wonderful views of the adjacent volcanoes, beautiful scenery and also get to see a number of wildlife and birds. The view while at the summit is one to behold, and the boiling lava lake is a mesmerizing sight that is even more beautiful in the night. The hike to the summit can take about 6 hours. You will spend the night at the summit, from where you will have your dinner as well.
Day 4: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
- Descend the Nyiragongo: On this last day of your 4-days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) package, you will rise very early in the morning and have breakfast at the summit. Enjoy your last peek at the lava lake before you embark on to descend the Nyiragongo by 6:30 am. The descent is much faster and is averaged to be at 4 hours only. Once at the foothills of the Nyiragongo volcano, meet up with your driver-guide for departure, marking the end of your amazing 4 Days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) Package.
End of the 4-days Le Petit Virunga (Bukima) Package Congo safari.
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Air tickets and Visas
- Rental of the Nyiragongo backpack
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tips