5 Days Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking & Akagera Wildlife Safari
5 Days Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking & Akagera Wildlife Safari: Visit the 2 major national parks of Rwanda the home of a thousand hills in a period of 5 days. This safari takes you to visit the Volcanoes national park, the home of the mountain gorillas, and also get to visit the wildlife of Rwanda in Akagera national park. This package is available for booking on a daily basis.
Trip highlights of the 5 Days Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking & Akagera Wildlife Safari
- Mountain gorilla trek
- Game drive
- Lake Ihema boat trip
- Dian Fossey fund museum
- Kigali city tour
Day 1: Set out to volcanoes national park
- Kigali city tour: In the early morning hours, you will connect with your driver-guide who will be at the pickup place as discussed. Right after you exchange pleasantries, you will drive out to start your Kigali city tour visiting the Kigali Genocide memorial grounds for a brief history of the 1994 Genocide that claimed many Rwandan lives and after taking some time at the Kimironko market.
- 3 hour drive to Ruhengeri: Connect for lunch and after drive to the home of the mountain gorillas – Ruhengeri which will be your home for the night. Check-in and settle in as you wait for dinner to be served
Accommodation options in Volcanoes national park
- Hotel Muhabura for budget option
- Le Bambou gorilla lodge for midrange option
- 5 Volcanoes boutique hotel for luxury option
Day 2: Mountain gorilla trek in Volcanoes national park
- Mountain gorilla trek: As soon as the sun starts to come out, be ready to set out to the park for the morning brief before the mountain gorilla trekking. Grab your hot cup of coffee and packed lunches and enter the car to be driven to the park headquarters where the gorilla treks start from. Listen to the 30 minute brief on the expectations and expected code of conduct while in the forest and set out to look for the mountain gorillas. Trek for about 2 to 6 hours all depending on how far into the forest the gorillas are that day. When you meet the gorillas, spend your magical one hour with them as they go about their daily routine. Drive back to your hotel to relax as the sun cools abit.
- Cultural tour in volcanoes national park: In the evening, drive to the Iby’iwachu cultural center for a cultural visit on the lifestyle of the Rwandan people and take part in some of the dances and cooking skills. Return to your hotel before it gets dark for dinner and a second night in Volcanoes National Park.
Day 3: Drive to Akagera national park
- 5 to 6-hour road transfer: Wake up to an early breakfast shortly before you exit the park driving towards Kigali. You will pass by the Dian Fossey fund museum and stop by Kigali for lunch. Drive further to Akagera national park arriving in the evening before the park gates close.
- Connect to your accommodation to refresh and settle in as you await dinner to be served.
Accommodation in Akagera national park
- Akagera game lodge for budget
- Karenge bush camp for midrange
- Rusizi tented camp for luxury
Day 4: Day game drive and Lake Ihema boat trip
- Day Game drive in Akagera national park: Breakfast will be served in the dining and after having your cup of coffee with some snacks, you will meet your driver guide who will be waiting to take you to the starting point by 9 am where you will link up with the Akagera guide of the day. Drive around the vast savannah park viewing the game like the rhinos, lions, elephants, leopards, giraffes along with the smaller game like the antelopes, warthogs etc. You may have a bush lunch or return to your hotel for lunch.
- Lake Ihema boat trip: Later in the evening when the sun is not as hot, you will drive to catch the scheduled Lake Ihema boat trip to see the aquatic life of Akagera National Park along with a few of the 500 plus bird species in the Akagera national park. Drive back to your hotel in time for dinner and an overnight stay as the previous night.
Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
- 2-hour road transfer: Wake up to a sumptuous breakfast at the hotel shortly before you exit the park. Pack your bags and check out of your hotel and meet your driver-guide who will be waiting to transfer you back to Kigali. You will arrive in time for lunch and if you were not able to do the city tour on the first day, you may take it on now before you are dropped off at your agreed drop off location.
End of the 5 Days Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking & Akagera Wildlife Safari
Safari quote includes
- 4×4 WD safari vehicle
- Activity fees
- Hotel fees
- Meals on the trip
- Full time English/ French speaking safari guide
- Bottled water on the trip
Safari quote excludes
- International air fees
- Optional/additional activities
- Visa fees
- Personal needs like tips, airtime, laundry etc.