Fees for Akagera National Park 2023/2024 : For a traveller interested in accessing Akagera national park the home to the big five animals in Rwanda, here’s a guide of the different activities and some tips that you should consider while planning your next safari in the park. Akagera is a savannah national park in Rwanda where you will get to access the different attractions from the big five animals, a number of water birds as you participate in the boat cruise on lake ihema to a number of carnivores and herbivores as they go about their day.
Park Entry Fees
|Entry fee / self-drive permit||Details||1 Day/Night||2 Nights||3 Nights|
|Rwandan/EAC Citizen||Per person||~16||15,000||~24||22,500||~32||30,000|
|Rwandan/EAC Citizen children 6-12||~|11||10,000||~16||15,000||~21||20,000|
|Rwanda/EAC Resident children 6 – 2||30||45||60|
|International Visitor children 6 – 12||50||75||100|
|African citizens/ EAC resident||25||38||50|
|African citizens children 6 – 12||30||45||60|
|African citizens children 6 – 12/ EAC resident||15||23||30|
Children 5 or below do not pay entry fees
Entry fees are not charged beyond 3 nights for up to one week
|Vehicle fee||Vehicle / Minibus (Rwandan/EAC registered)||10|
|Omnibus / bus / overlander (Rwa/EAC reg.)||20|
|Vehicle / Minibus (Foreign registered)||40|
|Omnibus / bus / overlander (Foreign reg.)||100|
|Guides (Park and Community Freelance)||USD|
|Guide for self-drive game drive||Per guide / ½ day||25|
|Guide for self-drive game drive||Per guide / full day||40|
|Adults 13+||Children 6 – 12|
|Night drive (operated by AMC)||pp/2.5hrs / vehicle, driver, guide/min. 2/max. 7||40||25|
|Fishing||Pp per day (own equipment)||25||15|
|Boat trip – scheduled morning/day||Price pp / 1 hrs / max. 11 pax||35||20|
|Boat trip – scheduled sunset trip||Price pp / 1 hrs / max. 11 pax||45||30|
|Boat trip – private, non-scheduled||Per boat / 1 hrs / max. 11 pax||180||–|
|Camping||Price pp / night||25||15|
|Camping at Mihindi Campsite||Price pp / night||50||30|
|Behind the scenes tour||Price pp / min 4 pax / 1.5 hrs||25||15|
|Group rate for 8+ pax / 1.5 hrs||180||–|
|Game drive day (AMC operated)||½ day max. 5hrs/vehicle, driver, guide/max. 7||180||–|
|Full day / vehicle, driver, guide / max. 7 pax||280||–|
|Walk the Line||7km walk along the fence / min. 3 approx. 2 hrs||30||20|
|Community Cultural Experiences||Various activities offered / half day / min. 3 pax||30||20|
|Tent hire||Per 6-man (3m x 3m) canvas tent (south sites)||20|
|Recovery fee||Breakdown or assistance from the park||70|
|Recovery fee coasters||Breakdown or assistance from the park||150|
|Fines||For breaking any park rules & regulations||150|
|Landing fee||Per landing within Akagera||50|
|Research fee||Contact the management prior to any research||200|
|Ranger assistance fee||For researchers / per day / conditions apply*||25|
|Commercial filming / photography||Per day. Contact the park for all filming||300|
|Rwandan/EAC Citizen||Single pass||95,000|
|Rwandan/EAC Citizens||Couples pass||150,000|
|Rwandan/EAC Citizens||Family pass||205,000|
|Rwandan/EAC Resident||Single pass||300|
|Rwandan/EAC Residents||Couples pass||500|
|Rwandan/EAC Residents||Family pass||700|
- Travellers interested in using the park guide for the half day game drive, they are expected to drop the guide at the reception within 5 hours and failure to do so you will be priced as a full day game drive.
- The half game drive in the park starts from early as 6:30am-11:30am in the morning and in the afternoon.
- Once you pay for the park entry fees in Rwanda, you’re eligible to a free game drive on the first day of your safari and every night that passes in the park, the park entry fees decrease and beyond three nights in the park travellers will not pay the park entry fees.
- Any child that is of the age of 5 and under are free of charge, they will not pay park entry fee or activities However above 6 years the fees are applicable in the category of the age between 6-12 years which is considered as children and children 13 years and above are considered as adults.
- If you’re a resident you should present your Residency status must be verified with documentation, or international visitor fees may be
- Groups of Rwandan Nationals of more than 20 people automatically receive a group discount of 20% off the normal entry fee price; 12,000 RWF for adults and 8,000 RWF
- Night drives begin at 5.30pm and end around 8 – 8.30pm. You will be picked up and dropped off at your accommodation facility. Only available in the south of the
- Boat trips are scheduled at the following times:
o 7:30 – 8:30 am
o 9:00 – 10:00 am
o 3:00 – 4:00 pm
o 4:30 – 6:00 pm (sunset trip)
“Book your safari and let us make your safari experience quite rewarding.’’.
- Annual Passes are available and allow unlimited access to Akagera National Park for a one-off payment for a period of 1 Single, Couple and Family passes are offered. The annual pass fee includes entry permits, but does not include vehicle fee or park activities, however, a 10% discount on park activities is offered to Annual Pass holders. Further terms and conditions apply – please read them carefully before purchasing a pass.
- Ranger assistance fees are required when researchers need to leave their vehicle for any reason, for example, to collect samples or set up research equipment etc. Rangers food and transport for the day is to be provided by the researcher. Rangers are available for any single researcher for a maximum of 4 consecutive days and by prior arrangement
- Tent hire does not include any bedding or camping
- We are cashless. The cashless payment options available are MTN MOMO, Direct Pay Online (DPO), Bank transfer/deposit, and credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
Activity bookings, Cancelations & Refund Policy
To make a booking for activities you can call the park reception on +250 (0) 786 182 871 or the tourism office on
+250 (0) 784 911 955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to provide the following details;
- Phone number
- Activity type, date and time (for boat trips)
- Number of people (if there are children in the group, please also provide their age)
- Whether you want to be invoice in Rwf or USD
Park entry fees can be paid on arrival, however, if you would like to also be invoiced for your park entry fees so that there are no payments to make on arrival, please also provide the following details;
- Residency status of all visitors (international, resident or national)
- If there are children in the group, please provide their ages
- Number of vehicles* and country of registration
- Number of days (or nights) in the park
You will be sent an invoice via email with a link to make the payment online. This can be done by bank transfer (if more than one week prior to your visit), credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or MoMo.
The booking is confirmed once the payment has been made. The reception will have a copy of your proof of payment on arrival and issue you with a VAT receipt. Please inform the receptionist if you need your TIN number on your receipt for tax purposes.
Cancellations are required to be in writing and incur the following charges:
- More than 30 days prior to arrival: 20% of the total amount due
- More than 7 days prior to arrival: 30% of the total amount due
- Less than 7 days prior to arrival: 50% of the total amount due
- After the activity was due to have commenced: 100% of the total amount due
If the cancellation is made by the park management due to bad weather conditions or otherwise, a full refund will be given. No refunds will be given for no-shows or late arrivals. An alternative time to do the activity may be offered at the discretion of Management.