2 Days Nyiragongo Volcano Trek
2 Days Nyiragongo Volcano Trek to see the world’s largest lava lake that steams and boils all through. This 2-days short Nyiragongo volcano trek has travelers spending a night at the summit after a 6 hours’ ascent with rewarding views. The summit is quite cold and travelers on this safari are encouraged to carry warm clothing.
Tour Summary of the 2 Days Nyiragongo Volcano Trek
- Day 1: Transfer to Kibati and Ascend the Nyiragongo Volcano
- Day 2: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
Day 1: Transfer to Kibati and Ascend the Nyiragongo Volcano
- Transfer to Kibati: On this day one of your Nyiragongo volcano trek safari, you will cross the Grande Barriere border crossing 7 am and check-in at the Virunga tourism office by 8 am in the morning. The Virunga tourism office is inside the Grande Barriere border crossing building which is opposite passport control and it is from here that you get your Nyiragongo trek permit which you will present at the start of the trek.
- Ascend the Nyiragongo Volcano: After your check-in procedures, you will transfer to Kibati, the starting point of the Virunga hikes. You will be briefed about the trek you are soon starting. It is from here that you can opt to hire a porter who’ll help you with your luggage and also assist you during the trek when it gets tough. At 10 am, you will start to ascend the Nyiragongo volcano and you will have an opportunity to sight a number of wildlife and birds along the way, and enjoy wonderful views of the other Virunga volcanos and the surroundings. You will have lunch along the trek. The ascent of the Nyiragongo can take about 6 hours and most trekkers reach the summit by 5 pm. Once at the summit, enjoy the views and gaze at the boiling red-hot lava lake before you. Enjoy your dinner and overnight stay at the summit.
Day 2: Descend the Nyiragongo and Departure
- Descend the Nyiragongo: This second and last day of your Nyiragongo Volcano trek has travelers waking very early in the morning, enjoy the breakfast at the summit and gaze at the lava lake for the last time. You will then embark on to descend the Nyiragongo at around 6:30 am. The descent is much faster as it can take on average 4 hours only.
- Depart for Goma: Once at the bottom of the Nyiragongo volcano, you will embark on a departure to conclude your Nyiragongo volcano trek with a transfer to Goma and a drop off at the Grande Barriere border crossing point.
End of 2 Days Nyiragongo Volcano Trek safari
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- All transportation to, from and within the park
- Bottled drinking water in the tour vehicle
- Air tickets and Visas
- Rental of the Nyiragongo backpack
- Porter fees
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone
- Souvenirs and Tips